WinterRose

WinterRose

The School for Good and Evil
Soman Chainani
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate - Jacqueline Kelly Finally finished. Hmm, where to start?

There are pros and cons to this book. On one hand, I really enjoyed the subject matter. There really aren't enough books like this. I am not a fan of "gril power RAWR!" feminist stories that try to beat you over the head with their message. Luckily, the author didn't do that. She very skillfully opened a window and gave you a small glimpse of Calpurnia and her life. That's it. No great big "hear my vagina roar" rant. Just a nice, simple tale about an interesting young lady and her budding interest in science. It's not something I would normally be interested in, but it was told without such an air of pretention that I couldn't help but be intrigued. It was a fresh approach and I appreciated it.

However, it is a very slow moving book and there is not much action. There story is very narrative with alot of Tell and not enough Show. I wished there would have been more dialogue rather than constantly just being told what was going on.

In general though, I think this is a great recommendation for any young girl. Especially one with an interest in science. The only reason I am giving this book 3 stars as opposed to 4, is a personal preference. I prefer and am drawn more to fantasy based tales and not historical fiction. I did not enjoy it as much as I do many other books as I have read. It didn't give me any thrills or chills. I wasn't glues to the pages. However, it was a relaxing, simple read and I did like it.