WinterRose

WinterRose

The School for Good and Evil
Soman Chainani
When You Reach Me - Rebecca Stead I don't get all the hype about this book nor do I understand why it won the Newberry.

The writing was decent, but nothing special. I didn't really feel drawn in by it though. I am a fan of A Wrinkle in Time, and knew it was supposed to have something to do with it, but it just didn't work for me.

Here's generally how I rate books on GoodReads:
5 - AMAZING! Something about this book reached into my core and touched my heart profoundly.
4 - Awesomesauce! The book is amazing, it might have not neccesarily impacted me in any deep and meaningful way, but I really loved it regardless.
3 - Pretty cool. Good read, few things here and there I may not have liked, or maybe it just wasn't quite me, but it was a decent read.
2 - Meh. Books I didn't jive with. It may have been a decent book, but likely just not for me. If the quality of the writing is bad, this usually drops to a one.
1 - Bad... just bad. Reserved for books that shouldn't have gotten past an editors desk.

So this one falls in a Category Two for me. The writing was fine, and I guess I could see other people liking it, but it just didn't work for me, personally.

One of the things I felt lacking was the fact that I don't feel invested in the main character. She's just a passenger...a witness to all these events. She doesn't really develop much nor go through much of a journey. She doesn't really do anything. This stuff around her happens and that's about it. It was pretty boring to me. I was expecting something more.

Furthermore, I was thrown off because there is no indication on what type of book this was. Is it a regular fiction or a fantasy? It seems to be marketed as middle grade fiction, when it's actually a middle grade fantasy. Now I love fantasy, but I like to know what genre I am reading before I pick up a book or else it becomes very jarring to me.
**SPOILER***
The whole time traveling thing was just so... weird to me. It seems like this book would have been so much more interesting if Marcus was the main character and we followed his story. I was so confused at the end. I can see what the author was attempting to do, but I don't think it worked. It was boring to me and the end felt very flat. This wasn't our characters journey it was the journey of everyone else around her. I just don't think this book knew what it wanted to be.

Between this and the Graveyard Book, I am really starting to question the validity of the Newberry.