WinterRose

WinterRose

The School for Good and Evil
Soman Chainani
Tender Morsels - Margo Lanagan Okay, to be fair, I will state that I didn't finish this book, but... I just couldn't read it anymore.
I'm really disappointed with this book because I heard so many good things about it. Everywhere I turned it was nothing but praises, but after trying to trek through it, I cannot agree with all the hype.

I know one of the big things that got to many reviewers was the sexual content - particular the incest and rape that occurs. I don't mind that. I think she handled it well. She implies it but you are never present for when it actually occurs. The author doesn't gratiously take you through every moment, so in that respect, I thought it was actually handled well.My problem was that the authors Voice was driving me crazy. One reviewer mentione dthat it is too overwritten and that hits the nail on the head for me. The entire thing is overwritten. The flowy senetence structure seems so forced and tedious. I felt like I was wading through scores of exposition without really seeing the plot. It was too much. I could stand her writing style a moment longer, so I put it down and never went back.