WinterRose

WinterRose

The School for Good and Evil
Soman Chainani
The Charmed Return - Allan Frewin Jones I’m so happy I finally got my hands on this sixth installment of the Faerie Path series. I knew it had been released, but I wasn’t able to find it anywhere in the stores, so I recently ordered it online.
My review may a bit awkward here as I am a tad confused on the book itself, mainly because I don’t understand if this is the final book or not in the series. If this is just a 6th book with another one coming, I love it. However if this is the conclusion to the series as the blurb says, then I am underwhelmed because too much was left unresolved and it left off on a surprisingly open end with minimal satisfaction given.

***SPOILERS AHEAD!!!*** You’ve been warned.

As a 6th book with another coming, I would give it four stars. I loved the story and the characters. I was glad that Jade finally got to step in again and jump into the action and the story since it’s been a while since she’s been present. I was happy to see Zara again too, if only briefly. I liked that the author tricks the readers (or at least he tricked me) into thinking Lear was defeated only to turn around and fool you – which is good because after his false “defeat” midway I was like “Well now what? Are they really going to wrap that up THAT early? What the heck is going on in the rest of the book now?” So I was pleasantly surprised. And I, like Tania, was growing unsettled by everyone’s odd behavior. I raised my eyebrows and was like “They all seem a bit disturbingly happy and chill after everything that happened, with Cordelia being dead and losing so many people in the plague.” So I was glad that it was addressed and we learned it was all a part of Lear’s deception.

However, if this is actually the final installment, I have to give it 2 stars because not enough was wrapped up. Too much is left unresolved. For one, I want to see Edric have consequences for using the Dark Arts so much. We keep hearing about how bad it is to use them and Tania keeps begging him to stop and he keeps saying “Just one more time” but we don’t really see any consequences. I want a final book with Edric being the villain and Tania having to save or kill him. Because we need to see why the Dark Arts are so bad. Because right not, I’m not convinced. Also, what happens with Mary and Clive Palmer? We never learn if Tania can sidestep in between worlds again. We never learn if she gets reunited with her parents or how she chooses to live her life – as a mortal or a faerie or if she continues to bounce between both worlds. We also never learn what happens with Oberon and the pact. We are left off on a cliffhanger, which, for a final book, is not too great, in my opinion. I’ve invested a lot into the series and I, like most readers, want a payoff. We never know if and how Faerie is restored.

So until it becomes clear to me what this book is, I am going halfway between both scores and leaving it at a 3 for now.