WinterRose

WinterRose

The School for Good and Evil
Soman Chainani
The Last Olympian - Rick Riordan I finished this book a few weeks ago, but forgot to update my status here and do a review. Probably because that is about how forgettable this story is. I hate to say it, but it was only so-so. On my taste level, I would say it actually ranked 2 out of 5 stars however I do think it is a good story for adolescent boys and considering they are the target audience, it does it's job so I am officially giving it 3 out of 5 stars.

It's clear that the author has alot of knowledge about and love of Greek mythology, however, I just found the gods completely unlikeable (as they should be, keeping with their actual myths). But Percy still supports them despite them being self obessesed, adulterous jerkwads. Personally, I was rooting for the Titans to win and crush Olypmus. Sad they didn't. I'm glad that at the end Percy did kinda get on the gods cases about being deadbeats, but I really think he needed to stick it to them a little more. The fact that their adulterous behavior was never an issue was a bit alarming to me and I think it needed to have been better addressed to make it clear that such behavior is not acceptable. It's poor form to normalize that behavior to young people.

I didn't see too much character growth and there were alot of instances of what I would deem "lazy writing" by the author having Percy, via narrative, brush descriptions and events under the rug with a wave of a hand and a "I don't really remember know, but.." excuse... which are used alot throughout the series.

Overall, it was an action packed series that does a good job of presenting the greek myths to a younger generation, but ultimately, this was not a series for me.