WinterRose

WinterRose

The School for Good and Evil
Soman Chainani
Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow - Jessica Day George It's no great secret that I adore Jessica Day-George's writing. I find her to be a wonderful craftsman of fairytale and folklore retellings - she does a great job at keeping the heart of the story while enriching it with in-depth characters and flavoring it with her own details. In other words, she helps readers fall in love with classic tales all over again, not by rehashing them, but by making them her own without relying on this modern fad for making something "edgy" - something I deeply appreciate about her.

This particular retelling is of a Norse tale called "East of the Sun, West of the Moon" which is actually a folktale I was, up until now, unfamilar with, though I have seen some other retellings popping up recently. It seems that Norse mythology is very en vogue at the moment.

Overall, I really liked this boook, but again, I will totally admit a bias toward the writter - I love her writing style. But in all honesty, the characters are interesting as is the story itself. My only major criticism is that the pacing does fall into a lull during the middle and I found myself yearning for more action. Other than that though, I enjoyed it. I highly reccomend it to anyone who loves folklore retellings.