WinterRose

WinterRose

The School for Good and Evil
Soman Chainani
Magic Under Glass - Jaclyn Dolamore Sometimes a book just comes along which is just the right thing you needed to read at that moment in your life, and for me - "Magic Under Glass" was the perfect book at the exact right time.

Set in an original fantasy world (which is very reminiscient of Victorian England... but if fairies, unicorns and magic existed), "Magic Under Glass" tells the tale about a young foreign girl named Nimira who works in a vaudevillian act, singing and dancing as a "trouser girl". A young magician hires her to accompany his musical automaton so he can show off in high society events. However, Nimira soon learns that the automaton is actually a fairy prince who has been cursed. Cue copious amounts of magic, romance and mystery.

I loved the aesthetics, the characters, the story, the setting and the fast paced nature of how the book flows. That said, I do wish there was a little more content. The book is rather short and the pace is quite quick and I really wish that the author had spent a little more time building up the relationship between Nimira and Erris. The same goes for the action itself. It really doesn't waste any time dealing with non-essential elements. And while I can see that some might be criticial of that, I actually enjoyed it. It didn't weigh the reader down with any excess - it got straight to the story. I was just sad with how quickly it ended for me because I wanted more. Luckily, I there is a sequel which I've just started.

Highly reccomended for anyone who enjoyed "Howl's Moving Castle" or other such type of stories.